Monday, December 12, 2011

How do I create another admin account on Mac OS X without original password and without deleting original admn?

I have a limited access account on my Mac, and I need to know how to create another admin account so I can enable installations, etc that I couldn't do without the original admin password. It is necessary that I do not delete the original administrator account in the process, and if it is possible, I am able to use the new admin account to find the password for the original admin account. Please help!|||Let me guess...this isn't your computer, is it? Why should I help you? You'll get caught, that's why, and the owner can't find me, so he will kick your tail instead. Oh, but if it's a school computer, they will probably just roll their eyes and wag a finger in your face, because they have no real punishment options.





You absolutely cannot ferret out anyone's password on any UNIX system. You can change the password, but... did I already say this?... you'll get caught, because you can't change it back.





Boot to single user mode. Type "/sbin/mount -uw /"


Press Return. (Nothing appears to happens, no problem. Also, you will see # again. That's fine; ignore it.)


Type "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone" (The file actually has some upper-case letters, but the normal format of Mac OS doesn't care.)


Press Return.


Type "reboot"


Press Return. (Now stuff appears to happen. You will finally get past the "Welcome" in a dozen languages and then you can create a new admin user. Open System Preferences %26gt; Accounts. Select the other admin account. Click the "Change password" button.

No comments:

Post a Comment